Diva Rules 2010

Diva Rules 2010

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sunday Spark!!!!!! Jade of D.I.V.A Rules

What is your sentence?

At a recent orientation for the rookie teachers on board to begin at my office’s partnership school, the School Director showed a YouTube video trailer of Daniel H. Pink’s book, Drive. In the video Pink references the infamous Clare Booth Luce conversation with President John F. Kennedy in which she told him, “A great man is one sentence”. The short video then goes on to provide examples of “the Sentence” of JFK, President Lincoln, and Teddy Roosevelt. At the conclusion of the video, the Director asked all of us in attendance to take a minute and think about our Sentence.

What is it that we would want to be remembered by?
What motivates us every morning?
What is our life’s meaning?

Maybe you want to be remembered for changing the lives of young girls or for being the first DIVA President, or maybe being a remarkable mom and spouse. So many times it is easy to become a victim of habit. Succumbing to the regular routines of your “normal” day and often forgetting our purpose. So as I was again challenged today, I challenge you to take 20 minutes and ask yourself “What Is my Sentence?” and “What can I do today that will bring me closer to that legacy?”

To view the video and more on David Pink go to http://vimeo.com/8480171

Feel free to share your responses. We can’t wait to hear from you!

Have a great week!

Jade
My Sentence: She worked intensely to enhance the lives of minority and impoverished populations around the world.

Jade Edwards is the co-founder of D.I.V.A Rules and a Program Coordinator of Youth Programs at the Center for Strategic Ubran Community Leadership at Rutgers University.

3 comments:

  1. Denisha (DIVA Rules)
    My sentence: "She was there when you needed her, humbly and willingly and left an impression on those she came into contact with."

    I dig this, we need to challenge ourselves to actively practice "our sentence" daily!!
    Kudos, (Jade)D.I.V.A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting Ladies, sorry I could not make it up this weekend, but I like what I'm seeing. You should frame your sentence and hang it up in your house.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a great inspiration to other black young women, may God continue to bless you on your journey of life. I enjoy working with you.

    ReplyDelete