Diva Rules 2010

Diva Rules 2010

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Think About It Thursdays ~featuring~ Jade of DIVA Rules: Barking Dogs and Sleeping Lions

Hey DIVAs, hope the workouts are going well.  I didn't make it to the gym yesterday.  This cold beat me up, but I will be there today to do both yesterday and todays workout.  Wish me luck.  
-Jade
"A barking dog is often more useful than a sleeping lion."
~ Washington Irving
In October, two young fans of Lupe Fiasco organized a rally in front of Atlantic Records to demand the release of his long awaited album, Lasers.  Across the waters today, students organized to protest 300% hikes in tuition.  I was truly inspired to hear about young, strong-minded individuals exercising their rights and taking a stand for something in which they believed.  However, it left me to wonder about the last time I took such a strong and passionate stance about something, about anything. 
I bombarded the polls, as did many of you, to cast my vote for our President and recently in attempts to safeguard the Democratic majority.  I watched along with you all as they counted the votes, attended various watch parties, and even subscribed to websites.  Yet when they called my phone numerous nights asking for me to get out and go door to door, I never answered. 
When the Don Imus and Rutgers Women’s Basketball Team incident occurred, several of us Black Student Union Members caravanned to the New Brunswick campus to participate in their rally. That was it.  As the then President of the Black Student Union, I didn’t organize our own rally, or petition the radio station.  Too often this is the case for many of us. 
We talk about causes or topics that we are passionate about, however how many have we really acted upon?  There are so many issues that I feel strongly about, yet I have devoted minimal time to seeing them through.   I challenge you as well as myself to pick one cause in the New Year to which you are connected to and take a valiant stance in seeing your cause flourish.  More than likely there is a preexisting organization already fighting your cause.  Call them and find out how you can take an active role in supporting the cause. 
Not sure what you are passionate about?  Next time you get ready to complain about something you see or hear, write it down.  If you find that you complain about this same thing over and over, more than likely this is a cause that you are passionate about.    

No comments:

Post a Comment