Diva Rules 2010

Diva Rules 2010

Sunday, February 27, 2011

What's In Your Purse??? ~*Highlighting Rev. Natalie Stephens*~

Hey DIVA Fam!
This is the last Sunday of Black History Month, in which DIVA Rules has been spreading much LOVE throughout this month to African American women...


For this Sunday Spark post for I wanted to share some Inspiration to each and every 1 of you with highlighting Rev. Natalie Stephens! Natalie Stephens is a minister and her work focus' around Women's Ministry. She is formerly of United Methodist Church in Southern New Jersey' and is a FAB speaker! 
I had the esteemed pleasure of listening to her ministry this weekend. She was the featured presenter at a  GREAT fellowship and FUN pink/green event I attended with my Pretty Ladies. 
Purses were the theme DIVAs' --- YES---Purses.  But not the  Purses we buy and try to pose with daily but our Spiritual purses.  She used the symbolism of a Purse to compare with how we view ourselves, how we want others to view us and what's in it that tells the TRUE story; and how "ALL that GLITTERS, ain't ALWAYS gold!" Her focus was on how our outside doesn't always reflect what's inside and that we should try to remain HONEST. 

Within our purses we looked at different items that we as women normally carry, which is Keys, Checkbook, Cosmetic bag, Credit Cards, Cell phone, Hair products, Medicine, Family photos, and a Calendar. We used each of these items and examined how they define who we are, the meaning behind each of these items to us, if they affirm who we are, and how they are (or cannot be) tranquil to us as women. 

Prior to looking at these items, collectively as a group; Rev. Stephens had us do a little personal self-reflection exercise in which we had to write down any "baggage" we hold onto in our Spiritual "Purses" that we have not expressed to anyone. I LOVED this exercises for many reasons, (1)-in that it brings me closer to my personal spiritual journey, (2)-allows me to stay grounded, and (3)-I was able to put my personal "Issues" to pen/paper (I'm a visual & hands-on learner).

I am sharing with you ALL what's in my purse, being that this will lead me closer to me making Sense, Meaning, Affirmation, Reliance, and Tranquility with myself. *(Hopefully this will for you as well)*

"In My Purse"I carry".....(a)-Pessimistic Thoughts-which leads me to not appreciate the many blessings the Lord has shined upon me (b)-Lack of Trust in Myself-which leads me to weaken my self-confidence in my endeavors....Now that I've shared my "baggage" - I know what I need (which I've already been starting) to work on." 

Your Turn: What's in Your Purse...learn to do this self-reflection often to conquer the clutter in Your "Purses" (LIVES)! Enjoy this Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment