Diva Rules 2010

Diva Rules 2010

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Work it Out Wednesday: Black Girls Run the Couch to 5K

Happy Wednesday!
Let’s work it out!!!!  Today was day two of my Couch to 5K plan.  It was much easier waking up at 6, however when I heard that rain I was tempted to stay in but my partner was on top of it.  After only the second day, I feel less fatigued, but my calves feel very tight though.  I know I have been buzzing about this Couch to 5k plan and some of you are probably wondering what the heck it is. 
Couch to 5k is a running plan that literally takes you off the couch to running a 5k (3.1 miles).  As I mentioned before I have always wanted to be able to run for distance.  I admired those people I would see each morning completing their jog, they seem so powerful and focused.  However, every time I would start something, I would get discouraged and stop and never get to that goal I set out to reach.  So this year, I made one of my goals to get in the best shape of my life and what better way to do it than to also tackle this running challenge.  I found a site about a month ago called Black Girls Run and began to peruse the site looking for beginner information and that is when I found out about Couch to 5k.
The ladies on Black Girls Run promoted the plan as the start line for beginner runners.  So this past weekend I went to the Couch to 5k site and signed up.  The program, which is one of Active Trainer, acts as a virtual trainer.  It maps out your routine for the entire 9 weeks.  Additionally it allows you to track your progress, running shoe wear, map running routes, explore local races, connect with other runners, and offers suggestions and guidance as you begin your running experience.  All of this for only $19.  This is just the price I need after paying almost $300 a month for martial arts all last year.   
Now DIVAs, there aren’t many of us women of color who ‘do the running thing’ but it is important that we start taking our health seriously.  I know its easy to say you will do it tomorrow, but tomorrow is promised to know one.  While it doesn’t have to be running, try something out of the box.  If you don’t know how to swim, sign up for swimming lessons, an excellent form of cardio.  If boxing or dancing has always been a goal, sign up and do it.  For those of you interested in starting a running routine or swimming, check out Black Girls Run.  These ladies are working hard to promote health and fitness amongst black and minority women.
Happy Moving!!!!
<3 Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment