Diva Rules 2010

Diva Rules 2010

Friday, September 24, 2010

Fierce Fridays~ featuring ~Carolyn B. Coles

Good Friday, ALL! For Fierce Fridays, today's OD (original DIVA) is someone that has influenced my life in a positive way and was (& still is) a gret support system to me growing up....Ms. Coles offers some advice on her perspective of how DIVAs' can lead a fierce lifestyle, without compromising our inner strength, desires and goals....read on...and share your feelings about this topic..

To my young fierce DIVAs:

TGIF! I wasn’t quite sure what to write and share with you as a woman of experience.  I am 46 years old and still a work in progress.  I can tell you that life goes by very fast, I remember my 25th birthday as if it was yesterday.  So embrace each day, each experience and each relationship; focus and remember to keep your goals and desires at the forefront of your life.

When I was 25 years old, I developed these five phases of life that I wanted to use to shape my life.  Unfortunately, I lost sight of these five phases after making bad choices in potential mates; delaying my education and compromising my desires.  My young DIVAs, it doesn’t matter that you make some mistakes in life—what’s important is that you get up, dust yourself off and start all over again.   

I believe these phases and suggestions are beneficial to having a successful life filled with stability, growth and happiness.  I wish you continued strength and intelligence in your decision-making:

Phase One:  Develop your personal and professional goals. 

·         Personal Goals:
         Develop a personal relationship with God and try to keep negativity and drama out of your life.
         Leave your parents home, get your own place or with a roommate.
         Create your criteria for a qualified mate and stick to it, don’t compromise. When dating, use the same tools as if you were interviewing someone for a job.  Check their background, get references by meeting their family and friends and gauge how they treat themselves and you.
         Join social organizations and vacation around entertainment festivals in other cities to extend your reach in meeting a qualified mate.
·         Professional Goals:
         Obtain an education so that you can obtain a career to provide financial security over the course of your life.
         Get a job that is focused on growth potential.
         Join professional organizations, network and attend professional conferences to accelerate your career and extend your reach in meeting a qualified mate.

Phase Two:  You found a qualified mate and are in a committed relationship.
·         Make sure he has his own independence and financial security.
·         You are evenly yoked in your religious beliefs.
·         Do not live together.
·         Take vacations together and work on your careers.


Phase Three:  Marriage.

·         Keep God at the head of your life and in your marriage.
·         Be married for awhile before you have children.
·         Buy property together, develop retirement plans and save money.
·         Develop hobbies in common.
·         Take vacations together and work on your careers.

Phase Four:  Starting a family.

·         Turn that guest room into a nursery.
·         Buy a bigger house.
·         Share the next 20 years raising your family and developing memories together.

Phase Five:  Empty Nest Time!

·         Send kids to college.
·         Get them out of your house and prepared to start their own lives.
·         Buy a smaller house.
·         Prepare financially for retirement and travel with your mate.

**If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.**

My name is Carolyn B. Coles; I am divorced with no children.  I am working full-time as an Executive Assistant and attending college part-time to complete my Bachelor’s degree.  I live and work in Charlotte, NC, enjoy taking trips and event planning. If you would like to reach her for planning events, or questions please email CColes172@aol.com



3 comments:

  1. Thanks Auntie...I believe that women as we begin to develop into our own womanhood can start to compromise ourselves a little, and divi away from our plans..but this offers up good advice about sticking to ourselves and being the best we can...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great. Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this piece. I will try to apply these phases to my own life in the hope to obtain a good future.

    ReplyDelete