Diva Rules 2010

Diva Rules 2010

Friday, September 17, 2010

Fierce Fridays~ featuring~ Cheryl Warren

Good Friday to all...Yes we made it another week! Today a woman I am extremely proud of and is my true hero has left us with an inspiring message to all Young, Fabolous, and Up-in-Coming DIVAs' to live by..when you read challenge yourself to see yourself in a different light.....

Have you ever wondered why a women in their mid-thirties and never married are pitied and scorned more than single men of the same age? How many times have you heard a family member say to you “Are you seeing someone? Or when are you thinking about getting married.  I was raised in the 60’s and 70’s and this was an expectation for all women of color to be married and have a child by the age of 21. When I graduated high school, at the young age of 18 most of my friends were getting married and having children right after high school.  Being single was considered a downgrade to your personal characteristics. Have attitudes changed in the current era? People seem less likely to use negative terms such as old maid or spinster when referring unmarried women. We now know that women are more likely to be single in the current era, due to lack of available partners.
When I was 20 years of age, I found myself married with a brand new baby, which was not uncommon in the 80’s. My life situation was not alarming since it was an acceptable way of life. My advice to all young women is to live your life to the fullest. Get your education and follow your dreams. Do not let society dictate how you should live your life.  Most single women my age are generally well adjusted and are often quite satisfied with their single status. I not saying to say single forever, however don’t think that something is wrong with you if you have not found the perfect life by age 30. When I mean perfect life according to society standards is "husband, wife, two children, white picket fence and a dog".  I have asked single women my age about their status on being single with no children and if they ever regretted being single? The majority of them said no. They have adjusted to their lifestyles and most are very financially stable.   Just look at the divorce rate and unmarried mothers raising children themselves. I was divorced at a young age and was forced to raised two children on my own. It was not an easy task, but I made it through with a great support system. I love my children and would do it again if I had to. 


Cheryl Warren is currently a Customs Resolutions Manager at TIAA-CREF. She will be graduating with an undergraduate degree next year (that took her over 10 years to obtain).  She enjoys watching vintage movies and traveling with family and friends. She has two grown children and is a grandmother of 2 beautiful girls.  She considers herself as living a very full life as a single woman. She can be reached at cwarren29@bellsouth.net or cwarren@tiaa-cref.org

3 comments:

  1. Thanks mama Cheryl!!!!

    This is so true though. Nish and I always talk about how at our age, our parents had families. But I guess now that 30 is the new 20 it is less taboo to be single.

    -Jade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said, you can enjoy life just the same single or married :).

    ReplyDelete